AFA 4931: A BLACK AND LATINXHISTORY OF THE GATOR NATION
This upcoming Spring, the Samuel Proctor Oral History Program is offering a oral history methods course course called Black and Latinx History of the Gator Nation.
Students enrolled in this course in Spring 2018 (MWF 5th) will create new archives on Black and Latinx history at UF, focusing on the histories of the Institute of Black Culture and La Casita.
In this course, students will:
- Critically examine the history of UF as it is currently written.
- Uncover overlooked stories in hundreds of existing interviews.
- Apply oral history interview methods with alumni, faculty, staff.
- Identify existing archival resources on these topics.
- Collect and/or digitize new archival materials (photos, letters).
- Help create a roadmap for future students to advance this work.
- Create podcasts and teaching modules to share these stories.
- Assist in the creation of documentaries on IBC and La Casita.